Partners in Literacy (Formerly Partners In Reading), begun in 1997, is a program of NCJW/Cleveland that provides literacy programs for children around the Cleveland area including, Cleveland, Cleveland Heights, Beachwood, Warrensville Heights and Lyndhurst. Partners In Reading was featured in an article in The Chagrin Valley Times. Read the article here.
We currently offer five programs:
1. A monthly Book Club for fifth graders. The same eight plus students meet throughout the year. They are given a book to read and then come together at lunchtime once a month with several volunteers to discuss it. The volunteers provide pizza, fruit and drinks, which the students really enjoy. When the students finish and return their book, they are able to choose a book to take home to help grow their personal libraries.
2. Readers’ Theater is a three-week program for fourth graders that combines reading and performance. This program not only helps students with fluidity of reading and vocabulary but also with presentation skills and learning about theater. Volunteers participate in a drama/literacy technique, which teaches fourth grade students to present a play by using only a script. Volunteers work with children in three one-hour sessions over three weeks in a classroom setting to bring a production to performance.
3. For the younger learners there is Reading Buddies where volunteers work one on one with first graders once a month to help them learn to read.
4. NCJW also provides volunteers for the program Invest in Children that works through the Cuyahoga County Office of Early Childhood. Volunteers help preschoolers with reading and provide other literacy activities to ensure these children are ready for kindergarten. Volunteering with Invest In Children is a weekly program.
5. Building Bridges With Books is a program that connects students with books. Volunteers work with school staff and media specialists to stock libraries and support school library efforts. During the summer of 2017, work was done for NCJW/Cleveland’s fourth and fifth libraries! The pilot program for Building Bridges With Books was at Warner Leadership Girls’ Academy. Volunteer opportunities include processing and coding books at the the libraries.
Partners in Literacy is always looking for interested volunteers. If you would like to get involved, please email Becky Brouman at email@example.com or call her at 216.378.2204 ext 105.